Information for schools, secondary

As they grow up, everyone can have problems with:

  • school work
  • attending school
  • feeling unhappy or angry.

The educational psychologist’s job is to help schools, parents/carers and you to find answers to these problems, and to help you cope.

The Psychological Service:

  • helps a lot of young people
  • works closely with schools
  • links with other agencies such as health and social services.

Educational Psychologists have skills and knowledge in:

  • psychology, education and learning
  • emotional development and behaviour.

They can help by:

  • attending your support meetings at school
  • talking to your parent/carer and your school to find out why they think a psychologist could help
  • meeting with you, on your own, to look at your work and talk to you
  • finding out more about what you do best
  • helping you to say what you think.

The psychological service has recently developed a booklet about anxiety. If you think this is something affecting you have a look at the information contained in this Anxiety Booklet.


Educational psychologists are there to help you. You can choose whether or not to see a psychologist. It’s not one way:

  • you can ask questions
  • you can get in touch with us through your Guidance Teacher.

If, after talking to us, you have any comments or questions about the service, we would like to hear from you.

You can contact us at:
Psychological Service
Education and Youth Employment
5th Floor
Cunninghame House
Irvine, KA12 8EE

Telephone: 01294 324500


Useful downloads

Back to Top